What benefits may bariatric surgery provide?
With regular follow-up, improved diet and exercise programs you may notice these benefits:
- Dramatic reduction in risk of premature death and obesity-related illness
- Reduced risk of heart attack, cardiovascular disease, heart failure or stroke
- Reduction and often resolution of symptoms of obesity-related sleep apnoea, arthritis and diabetes
- Cancer risk reduction, with obesity now a significant risk factor for many cancers
- A healthier lifestyle with regular follow-up, improved diet and exercise programs
- Significant weight loss
- Greater self-confidence and feeling better about appearance
Do I need surgery?
Speak to your doctor if you have the concerns below. If a surgical approach is deemed suitable, you will need to see your GP to get a referral to one of our Bariatric surgeons at North West Private Hospital.
- Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is more than 30
- You have a BMI between 25 and 30 plus health problems linked to weight such as sleep apnoea, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and arthritis
- Your BMI or waist circumference is increasing in between GP visits
- You have a waist size of 80cm or more for women and 94cm or more for men
- You have diabetes related to obesity. In more than 80 per cent of cases this can be resolved or reduced post-surgery
- Other weight loss options such as lifestyle changes and weight loss medications have not been successful
What is the cost?
The costs of the surgery can vary based on whether you have private health insurance, the type of procedure and the specialist you select. At your initial consultation, you and your surgeon can talk through the costs applicable to you – and you can also check with your Health Fund.
At times, options are available for self-funded patients. If this is your preference, please call our hospital to request further information around bariatrics self-funding on 07 3246 3144